Monday, March 1, 2010

Kalo Mina

This means have a good month, a wish every Greek will say the first day of the month. And one more wish: kali ebdomada = have a good week is on every monday). So today, it is monday the first day of the month, therefore a double wish: have a good week and a good month.

But not only that. It is the first day in March and tradition will have it that all the children will wear their "Marti" which is a little handmade wristband or bracelet made of red and white string. Here on the island it used to be made by the mothers and grandmothers for their little ones and the reason behind it was that if you wore this on the first of March and leave it on until it more or less falls of by itself after a while, you wouldn't get burnt by the sun . I have to admit I have no idea where it came from but I think it is a cute tradition and always kept it up with my boys when they were little. Here is the one I made today. Of course my two teenaged boys wouldn't dream of wearing it so I am sharing it with you.


There are many more traditions that are local and I shall try to write about them as well.

2 comments:

Lexxi-Lane said...

thanks for popping in on my blog. i love getting feedback.

can i move to your island? i'll wear the bracelet?!! ;)

Donna said...

That's a sweet story. I like it! :)